Thursday, August 28, 2008

2. What character do you most identify with in this novel and why? Is pathos an element of your response to this character?

I do not match with any other characters but I think I most identify with the main character Patrick. Patrick is a fragile character where I am a fragile man sometimes. When I face hardships or disasters I tend to break internally and sometimes it shows on the external side of me. Patrick also portrays his brokenness by certain acts such as smoking or cleaning trying to heal the pain and forget the memories that he is feeling from the loss of his love Clara (the scene when Clara leaves). Furthermore, Patrick is lost, where he searches his identity throughout the novel and this is similar to me because I am not sure of my identity in the society. The society that I currently live in is a small society compared to adults. I am kind of afraid that I would be lost like Patrick when I face the reality, harsh society, because Patrick is hurt and lost in the society. In the novel Patrick shows that he is lost throughout the novel where his father dies and when his lovers leave him. I cannot identify fully with him since I am a different person who is not that old and do not have much of an experience of love. However, I can relate to myself with Patrick of the lost of identity and confusion that comes with it.

No comments: