Tuesday, November 4, 2008

2

Poems are of them times hard to understand and just like any other poems, “Because I Could Not Stop for Death” was hard to understand. This poem is by Emily Dickinson who is one of the best poets in the world. This poem reveals Emily Dickinson’s calm acceptance of death where she describes death as a man who gently comes to accompany her. This is very interesting because normally people fear death. We can see that Emily Dickinson is saying death is not to be feared because it is a natural part of life. Also it is an endless cycle of nature; you will die someday for sure then why bother fearing death? This kind of also reflects the personality of Emily Dickinson. Because she was reclusive and introspective, maybe she didn’t care about living or dying. I think, because of her personality, she gave up easily on life and accepted death as a new journey to begin. Also, she might have gone through horrible times, such as her nephew’s death, that shaped her point of view in death. Personally, I agree with her point of view in death, seeing as a new journey. I always thought death was not the end of life but a new beginning. Also, death is a great adventure because no one knows what will happen when one dies. However, I do not want to die so soon because I am still young and did not lose many things like Dickinson did. Maybe I would accept death with calmness if I have nothing to lose, just like Dickinson did.

No comments: